Repair Specialist/Construction Site Supervisor
HFHSTW MISSION STATEMENT: Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Repair Specialist / Construction Site Supervisor is a working position. Responsibilities include inspecting potential projects, preparing scopes of work and cost estimates, troubleshooting, following through to completion, and assuring compliance with building codes. When not on a repair job you will be working on a Habitat new construction site with other construction staff utilizing personal construction skills to construct homes. This position fosters an environment of learning and team building for site volunteers and partner families.
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-time position/40 hours per week.
• Inspect site conditions to assess feasibility of minor home repair requests
• Prepare scopes of work, cost estimates, and materials lists
• Identify tasks requiring subcontracted labor
• Complete repairs in a timely manner
• Interact with repair program clients with respect and compassion
• Coordinate with supervisor and Homeowner Services staff to provide necessary documentation
• Build new HFHSTW homes as per house plans, specifications, and quality requirements
• Supervise overall new construction activity and provide leadership to site volunteers and partner families
• Monitor the activities of subcontractors to ensure compliance with specifications and procedures
• Promote a work site environment that contributes to a successful experience for volunteers and partner family members that encourages them to return and to serve as good ambassadors for HFHSTW
• Train all volunteers and family partner members on construction techniques and HFHSTW safety standards each day they are on the worksite
• Assist with home repair/rehab/warranty projects, as necessary, including scheduling and supervising subcontractors to ensure a quality work product
• Anticipate potential problem areas, analyze and recommend solutions or corrective actions to Construction Manager so that steps may be taken to ensure timely and quality completion
• Constantly evaluate work site safety to ensure safe work practices and re-train if necessary
• Use responsibly and maintain all tools, equipment and vehicles
• Additional duties as assigned
• Commitment to and willingness to advocate for Habitat’s mission
• A commitment to HFHSTW’s Strategic Plan
• Respect, promote and safeguard the rights and dignities of all people, without discrimination or bullying of any kind
• Professional construction appearance – maintain clothing free of holes, stains, etc.
• Capacity to develop and maintain successful and productive relationships with partner families, volunteers, Board of Directors, vendors, and co-workers
• Ability to treat all individuals with the respect, courtesy and dignity that reflects the mission of HFHSTW
• Excellent communication, listening and interpersonal skills
• Willingness & patience to work with unskilled volunteers
• Ability to excel within in a team environment
• Proven ability to teach construction skills
• Ability to work in the United States
• High School Diploma/GED required, some college preferred
• Construction or OSHA certification/training preferred
• 1 year of construction, renovation or home repair experience required
• Previous supervisory experience preferred
• Ability to communicate and exchange information
• Ability to routinely lift and/or move up to 50lbs – unassisted
• Ability to routinely lift over 50lbs with assistance
• Ability to bend for extended periods of time
• Ability to stand for extended periods of time
• Ability to crawl for extended periods of time
• Ability to walk for extended periods of time
• Ability to reach & pull
• Ability to use fingers to type, grab & manipulate
• Ability to climb
• Ability to work in adverse weather conditions
• Ability to work at levels over 6’ high for extended periods of time
• Ability to work in small or confined spaces
• Good eye to hand coordination
• Good sense of balance
HFHSTW reserves the right to change position descriptions at any time.
This position description is in no way intended to alter the employee-employer relationship of Louisiana’s right to work status.
HFHSTW is an equal opportunity employer, and is dedicated to building a culturally diverse staff.